No boot device is available...

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Boggio, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Boggio

Boggio Bit poster

Hi,

i've a problem with the virtual machine disk image.

1) I used my VM all day without problem.
    2) I restarted my mac and i relaunched my virtual machine but during the boot of Parallel's VM the MacOs Crashed: the only solution was force restart my MacOs.
    3) Reboot MacOs (all ok), try to relaunch VM but i received the following message: "No boot device available, press Enter to continue".
    4) I checked and the VM's HardDisk is correctly stetted up but the file MyVirtualMachine.pvm is now only 600Mb (it was near 60Gb).

I tryied to open the *.hdd file with Parallels Mounter utility but it said that HD is damage..

So, what i can do!?!? I have important data on it..

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

1. You should boot from the recovery partition and use Disk Utility to Repair your drive/partitions.
    2. If the file is still 600MB, restore it from backup.
    3. If you don't have backup of your data you should stop using your drive immediately and contact a professional data recovery service.

3. Boggio

Boggio Bit poster

Hi,

1) My HD isn't damage. The Parallels's Virtual Machine HardDisk is damage.
    2) I was starting the virtual machine to make the backups of the day! I lost today's new data.
    3) Isn't possible.

I'd like to know WHY Parallels causes MacOS crash!!!! i'd like to avoid another bad situation like this one!!

My Parallels version is: Build 7.0.15107 (Revision 796624; Mon, 03 Sep 2012).

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

1) The crash might have caused inconsistencies in the file system, and to recover from that I suggest you use disk utility like I said.

You should consider it's possible that the Mac crashed because of an hardware problem (most crashes are).

Other than that I have no other suggestion, considering it's just one day data and you have backups the situation isn't as bad as I first thought. Also, FYI, Parallels 7 is no longer supported with updates.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  5. Boggio

Boggio Bit poster

ok,

i think that i will update it to the last version.

Thanks