Parallels 8/9 don't see Bootcamp partition

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by VasilT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. VasilT

VasilT Bit poster

Initial setup was two partitions: MacHD with Mountain Lion & Bootcamp, back in the days everything was ok.
    I shrieked MacHD partition and create second MacOSExtended partition for Mavericks DP.
    After the successful install of Mavericks, my bootcamp was gone, there was no way to boot in it.
    I needed to fix the partition table doing the instructions from this post:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4144252?start=0&tstart=0

Then everything went fine, I was able to boot all 3 of them, holding ALT button after POST signal.

However my Parallels don't see anymore the bootcamp partition so I can't make VM.
    I did try vmWare Fusion trial and it was able to see it, but god I don't l like the vmware that much.

Anyone experienced something like that?

2. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Did you try removing the Boot Camp type Hard Disk from the virtual machine hardware configuration, then add a new Boot Camp type Hard Disk and point it at the Boot Camp partition?

3. VasilT

VasilT Bit poster

By some reason Parallels don't see it, while the partition is there. Check out the screensho Screen Shot 2013-10-08 at 10.49.21.png

4. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

The screenshot shows that no partitions are selected in the Edit Partitions dialog. That is usually not possible. Are you able to click the Partition 2 check box to select it? If it's not selected then Parallels will not make the contents of the partition visible to Windows (it appears as all zeros) and it won't be writable to Windows.

If that doesn't work then use the following commands to see the MBR and GPT partition tables:
    sudo gpt -r show -l disk0
    sudo fdisk /dev/rdisk0

5. VasilT

VasilT Bit poster

Yes I'm able to click on any of the partitions in disk Utility and they are all mounted.
    See attached screen Screen Shot 2013-10-10 at 09.27.25.jpg

6. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

I meant in the "Edit Partitions" dialog which appears in your screenshot where it says "Type: Boot Camp". "Location OCZ-VERTEX4 (disk0)". You need to select the checkbox for "Partition 2". Then click OK.