Parallels Desktop 5 won't install SL Server!

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by TonyA, Jan 23, 2010.

1. TonyA

TonyA Junior Member

I run Parallels Desktop 5 on Mac OS X 10.6.2 Desktop, so now I want to create a virtual machine with Mac OS X 10.6.2 Server (only because desktop OS is restricted). I have the Server OS as DMG file, not on DVD. Parallels Desktop creates the VM and starts the machine, however no further installation happens! It just shows the black screen for a while and then it shuts down. Why does it happen? I am getting really mad, I do not have a Double Layer DVD right now to make it on a disk. Why does Parallels care?!

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Please make sure that OS Type in the config of VM -> General is set to "Mac OS Server v10.6". Please send a problem report using menu "Help"->"Report a Problem" and post here its ID if this doesn't help.

It is not necessary to have a DVD. A Dmg should be ok.

3. TonyA

TonyA Junior Member

I had to burn it on the DVD DL, hope it will be ok now, at least the installation process has been started. Fingers crossed.

4. TonyA

TonyA Junior Member

Installation has been successful after I have recorded the DVD Double Layer. Sorry, did not have enough temper to find the way to install using a dmg.

5. DmitryZ

DmitryZ Bit poster

Now I see what people mean when they say that VMware support is much better than the one of Parallels.

It is 02.09.2010 and the latest version of Parallels Desktop for Mac 5 still won't install Mac OS X 10.6 Server Snow Leopard from a .dmg file.

Had to waste additional time and money to get another DL DVD.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010